Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gardening With My Boss

My wonderful boss Gill Rowell came all the way from England, and between some important meetings she decided to help making our garden look pretty. Together with my coworker Senada we spent almost 5 hours working on it yesterday. 

Since we are a youth organization (Novi Most International) we cannot say that gardening is really something that we usually do. Both my boss and I are the ones who mostly work in the office and Senada works directly with young people. But yesterday, we were gardeners. :) We've taken out most of the weed, cut the grass, planted some flowers around the trees and surrounded it with rocks. It looks wonderful and we are very pleased. We were especially pleased because we managed to finish all up before Klub opening and youth coming in. 

There is still some work left, more weeds to take out, more seeds of grass to put in the places where needed, obviously watering it... but what we did so far is great and it was great that three of us could work on it together. 

My boss is the best boss, she is humble, loves people and enjoys investing in them with love and patience. So it was really nice to spend time with her. Not many people can say that about their bosses, I think. I am blessed :)

This is me after finishing the work. All dirty and tired, but happy!

There are few things I learned yesterday about gardening: It requires a lot of patience, weeds need to be kept under control otherwise they could take over the whole garden and make it ugly and smelly and not really nice to see or come near. 

Our soul is a garden that, together with God we work in. It is a process, but we must never stop working with our Boss (God is our ultimate boss, besides being our father, best friend...)

That reminds me on the conversation between Sarayu and Mack in the Shack:

"Mackenzie, you are such a delight! Thank you for all your had work!"
"I didn't do that much, really", he apologized. "I mean, look at this mess." His gaze moved over the garden that surrounded them. "But it really is beautiful, and full of you, Sarayu. Even though it seams like lots of work still needs to be done, I feel strangely at home and comfortable here."
....
Sarayu stepped toward him untill she had invaded his personal space. "And well you should, Mackenzie, because this garden is your soul. This mess is you! Together, you and I, we have been working with a purpose in your heart. And it is wild and beautiful and perfectly in process. To you it seams like a mess, but to me, I see a perfect pattern emerging and growing and alive - a living fractal."

4 comments:

  1. this big rain will be good for the garden! good quote from the Shack - maybe I should read it again, it is a good book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, excellent. I think this rain was just for our garden, it was short and heavy... just what was needed :) Thank God!

    Glad you liked the quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a really nice blog entry DC. I hope the garden keeps on getting more and more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you KT :) I hope the same :)

    ReplyDelete

I like to read comments - short or long. They make me smile :) So please don't hesitate to make me smile ;)